Tops ABC’s ‘20/20’ By Double-Digits in Total Viewers, A25-54 & A18-49
During Time Period, ‘Dateline’ Launched the #1 Podcast ‘The Seduction,’ Featured Savannah Guthrie’s Exclusive Interview with Amber Heard & Debuted ‘Dateline: The Last Day’ on Peacock
July 6, 2022– Dateline NBC is the #1 Friday newsmagazine during the 2nd quarter, topping ABC’s 20/20 by double-digits across the board in all key measurements, including total viewers, the key news demo A25-54 and the key primetime demo A18-49.
Dateline averages 4.357 million total viewers, topping ABC by +733,000 (+20%) and growing +8% in total viewers compared to the last quarter, as well as the same time last year. This also marks the sixth consecutive total viewer win during a 2nd quarter. Among the key A25-54 news demo, Dateline averages 1.094 million viewers, topping 20/20 by +149,000 (+16%) and marking an increase of +5% in A25-54 viewers vs. last quarter. The broadcast also notches 777,000 viewers in A18-49, leading 20/20 by +87,000 (+13%), and increasing its A18-49 audience by +3% vs. the last quarter.
Across all of TV, Dateline ranks as the #1 most-watched newsmagazine franchise and #1 most-watched true crime franchise in total linear minutes with 83MM total viewers, according to Nielsen.
Additional 2nd Quarter Highlights
- Dateline’s new podcast, The Seduction, reached #1 on Apple’s Podcast Charts. The series, hosted by Keith Morrison, marked Morrison’s fourth #1 podcast.
- Dateline’s chart-topping showcast delivered its strongest quarter ever, with more than 82 million downloads.
- In April, Morrison’s latest special on the case featured in his #1 podcast, The Thing About Pam, reached nearly 6 million viewers, delivering Dateline’s largest audience in two years.
- The Thing About Pam returned to #1 following the NBC eponymous series starring two-time Oscar-winning actress Renée Zellweger. The scripted series, inspired by Dateline’s podcast, was a collaboration between Blumhouse Television, NBC News Studios and Zellweger’s Big Picture Co. The series also marked NBC’s #1 new show of the season in the 18-49 demo, with the pilot episode currently ranking as NBC’s top digital launch in the network’s history.
- In June, Savannah Guthrie’s exclusive headline-making Dateline interview with Amber Heard won the hour in total viewers. On NBC.com & the NBC app, the episode saw a nearly +30% increase in viewership in week-over-week measurements.
- Peacock’s first original Dateline series, Dateline: The Last Day, debuted Tuesday, June 14.
Source for Dateline Fridays: Nielsen, Most Current, 3/28/2022-6/24/2022. Average audience based on regularly-titled telecasts only. Data pulled on 6/27/2022
Source for Total Liner Minutes Across all of TV: Nielsen, Most Current, total viewers for all telecasts across broadcast, licensing, and syndication, 75% unification, 1-minute qualifier. Latest data for 3/28/2021-6/26/2022 as of 6/28/2022. Podcast Sourcing: Simplecast, Art19 & Megaphone.
For More Information:
Now in its 30th season, Dateline NBC is the longest-running series in NBC primetime history. Dateline is anchored by Lester Holt and features correspondents Andrea Canning, Josh Mankiewicz, Keith Morrison and Dennis Murphy. Airing Fridays at 10 p.m. ET/9 p.m. CT, Dateline also airs across NBC, cable and in broadcast syndication, with hundreds of hours available to stream on Peacock’s Dateline 24/7 channel. The newsmagazine also reaches millions through its #1 podcasts, including The Thing About Pam and its showcast. David Corvo is the senior executive producer and Liz Cole is the executive producer.