Nightly is #1 Among Viewers A25-54 for 4th Straight Week and 6th Time in 8 Weeks
NBC Broadcast Widens Lead Over Competition in Both Total Viewers & the Demo for 2nd Week in a Row
DECEMBER 31, 2014 – “NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams” was America’s #1 newscast in total viewers and all key demos for the week of December 22-28, 2014, according to Nielsen Media Research data. The NBC broadcast has now been #1 among demo viewers A25-54 for 4 straight weeks and in 6 of the past 8 weeks.
For the fourth quarter of 2014, Nightly was #1 in total viewers, rating A25-54, and rating A18-49. The NBC broadcast averaged 9.111 million total viewers, leading ABC by +7% (+628,000) and CBS by +30% (+2.098 million). This marks Nightly’s best 4Q total viewer delivery in 9 years and its biggest 4Q advantage over CBS in three years. Nightly has now been #1 in total viewers for 29 consecutive quarters and 59 of the last 61 quarters.
NOTE: All three networks are based on a two day average (Mon, Tue) due to the Christmas holiday.
Week of 12/22 — Growth:
- Nightly has widened its total viewer and A25-54 viewer leads over the competition in each of the last 2 weeks.
- Versus the same week last year, Nightly posted gains in total viewers (+8%, or +705,000), A18-49 viewers (+1%, or +13,000) and A25-54 viewers (+2%, or +46,000).
- Nightly was the only evening newscast to improve its deliveries across-the-board vs. 4Q’14/STD levels in total viewers (+4%, or +329,000), A18-49 viewers (+4%, or +61,000), and A25-54 (+2%, or +41,000).
- Compared to the 4Q’145/STD average, Nightly widened its leads over ABC in both total viewers (by 71%) and A18-49 viewers (by 80%).
- Nightly has increased its total viewer audience by +2% (+164,000) versus the same STD period last year, posting its best start to a season in 9 years (since the 2005-06 season).
- Nightly averaged 9.430 million total viewers, +13% (+1.054 million) ahead of ABC World News Tonight and +29% (+2.128 million) more than CBS Evening News.
- This represents Nightly’s best total viewer delivery in three weeks and its largest win over ABC since the week of 6/9/2014.
- In total viewers, the NBC broadcast outperformed ABC by at least 500,000 viewers and CBS by at least 2 million viewers for the 9th straight week.
- Nightly has been #1 in total viewers for 276 consecutive weeks and in 323 of the last 324 weeks.
- Nightly averaged 2.162 million A25-54 viewers, leading ABC by +5% (+98,000) and CBS by +34% (+546,000).
- Nightly delivered a 1.8 A25-54 rating, +6% (+1 tenth) more than ABC and +29% (+4 tenths) more than CBS.
- Nightly has posted at least a tie for #1 in rating A25-54 in 9 of the last 12 weeks.
- Nightly averaged 1.610 million A18-49 viewers, outperforming ABC by +16% (+221,000) and CBS by +46% (+508,000).
- Nightly delivered a 1.3 A18-49 rating, +18% (+2 tenths) more than ABC and +44% (+4 tenths) ahead of CBS.
WEEK OF DECEMBER 22-28, 2014
|Total Viewers||A25-54 Rating||A25-54 Viewers||A18-49 Rating||A18-49 Viewers|
# # #