Chuck Todd, Kristen Welker to Anchor Primetime Election Specials Streaming on NBC News NOW May 17 and 24
“Vote Watch” Cross-Platform Reporting to Appear Across NBC Nightly News, TODAY, Meet the Press, MSNBC, NBCNews.com, and NBC News NOW
May 16, 2022 — As the 2022 midterm elections heat up, NBC News and MSNBC kick off “Vote Watch,” a week-long cross-platform series featuring original reporting that will air across TODAY, NBC Nightly News, Meet the Press, MSNBC, NBCNews.com, and NBC News NOW.
At 8:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday night, NBC News Political Director and Meet the Press Moderator Chuck Todd and Chief White House Correspondent Kristen Welker anchor the first of two May primetime election night specials on NBC News NOW. The first Meet the Press: Election Night Special will break down live results and provide insight, analysis, and coverage throughout the night as results roll in from the consequential open-seat Pennsylvania and North Carolina Senate primaries as well as the Pennsylvania gubernatorial primary.
The primetime special will feature a team of NBC News correspondents and reporters on the ground in key primary states, including Dasha Burns, Vaughn Hillyard, Henry Gomez, and Sahil Kapur from Pennsylvania and Antonia Hylton and Allan Smith from North Carolina.
Other programming highlights throughout the week include:
- Just-released NBC News polling showing six in ten Americans support abortion rights while President Biden’s approval rating has fallen to 39 percent.
- On Weekend TODAY, MSNBC Correspondent Shaq Brewster is live from Dane County, Wis. on the student loan crisis and the ramifications for youth vote enthusiasm when candidates promise some form of debt “cancellation.”
- As polling shows President Biden’s approval rating falling among Black voters, NBC News Washington Correspondent Yamiche Alcindor reports on the future of the Democratic Party’s historically strong prospects in this key constituency on Weekend Nightly News.
- On NBC Nightly News, Chief Washington Correspondent and Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent Andrea Mitchell speaks with suburban voters in Pennsylvania, where Democrats are hoping voters’ fears of a possible state-level abortion ban will help animate their base.
- On NBC News NOW, MSNBC Correspondent and Into America host Trymaine Lee profiles young Black candidates challenging the status quo. In Pennsylvania, he talks to Summer Lee, a state representative running for U.S. Congress in a recently redrawn, Democratic-leaning district that sets up a battle between the progressive Lee and moderate Democrat Steve Irwin. In Texas, he takes a look at the race to replace retiring Democrat Eddie Bernice Johnson in the 30th Congressional District, featuring candidates Jasmine Crockett and Jane Hope Hamilton.
- On MSNBC, anchors will fan out across battleground states all week, with Chris Hayes anchoring All In with Chris Hayes from Pennsylvania on Monday and José Díaz-Balart, Andrea Mitchell, and Katy Tur each anchoring shows from Philadelphia on Tuesday. Next week, Joy Reid, Hallie Jackson, and José Díaz-Balart will anchor from Georgia ahead of its primary on May 24.
- Throughout Tuesday night, NBC News & MSNBC National Political Correspondent Steve Kornacki will be at the Big Board breaking down the latest results.
- Also on MSNBC, live reporting from NBC News Correspondent Ellison Barber in Chattooga, Ga., MSNBC Correspondent Shaq Brewster in Duval County, Fla., and NBC News Correspondent Antonia Hylton in Anson County, N.C. on hot-button “culture war” issues including abortion and LGBTQ rights.
- NBC News Senior Investigative and Legal Correspondent Cynthia McFadden takes an in-depth look at Secretary of State races on NBC Nightly News, assessing the possible ascent of candidates who disputed the 2020 election results and could soon be in a position to throw out election outcomes in 2024 and beyond.
- On Weekend TODAY, Senior Washington Correspondent Hallie Jackson looks at the current landscape of political advertising and the shift away from policy-forward messaging towards more controversial cultural themes and images.
- Ahead of the Georgia primaries, Morning Joe convenes two focus groups to hear from Republican and Democratic voters on what is driving their political preferences and what they want for the future of their party.
For more information, contact:
# # #
NBCUniversal News Group
More Americans watch NBC News, MSNBC and CNBC than any news organization in the world. NBC News’ leading and award-winning television news broadcasts include TODAY, NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt, Meet the Press with Chuck Todd and Dateline NBC. MSNBC is the #2 network across all of cable and is the premiere destination for breaking news, award-winning content, in-depth analysis and informed perspectives. CNBC is the recognized world leader in business news and provides real-time financial market coverage, business and general news content, and primetime reality programming, consumed by more than 557 million people per month across all platforms. The rapidly-growing NBC News Digital Group – including its streaming news services NBC News NOW and TODAY All Day – and the network’s award-winning original podcast and audio unit provide continuous content to consumers wherever they are, whenever they want it.
NBC News, MSNBC and CNBC are part of the NBCUniversal News Group, a division of NBCUniversal, which is owned by Comcast Corporation. For more information about NBCUniversal, please visit www.NBCUniversal.com.
# # #