Lester Holt Sits Down for Exclusive Interview with Head of Pandemic Response Accountability Committee Michael Horowitz
“The Fleecing of America” Begins Monday, Will Air Across ‘TODAY,’ ‘NBC Nightly News,’ MSNBC, NBCNews.com & NBC News NOW
March 25, 2022 — NBC News and MSNBC will air a special investigative, multi-week series revealing how the U.S. government’s spending during the two years since Covid-19 was officially declared a global pandemic has led to historic fraud. The series, The Fleecing of America, will air across TODAY, NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt, MSNBC, NBCNews.com and NBC News NOW.
The Fleecing of America will feature original and exclusive reporting on the billions of dollars lost to Covid-19 scams, and what is being done to prevent the abuse of government funds. The special coverage marks a return for the historic series, which began on NBC Nightly News over 20 years ago.
Coverage begins on Monday’s NBC Nightly News and Tuesday’s TODAY with anchor Lester Holt’s exclusive interview with Inspector General of the Department of Justice Michael Horowitz, who is overseeing the Pandemic Response Accountability Committee.
Additional programming throughout the two-weeks will include:
- On NBC Nightly News and NBC News NOW, NBC News’ Tom Llamas will investigate the explosion in the abuse of telemedicine during the pandemic as relaxed rules in Medicare and Medicaid have led to some of the largest health care fraud schemes in U.S. history.
- As identity theft cases skyrocket across the country, NBC News correspondent Tom Costello will look at how organized crime groups have targeted vulnerable populations. During the report for TODAY, he will also speak with Sacramento DA Anne Marie Schubert.
- On Weekend Nightly News, NBC News Senior Consumer Investigative Correspondent Vicky Nguyen will have exclusive access to a new report revealing unprecedented exploitation of government programs, including by foreign actors. She will also look at what is being done to stop scammers in their tracks.
- NBC News’ Ken Dilanian will investigate Paycheck Protection Program scams in South Florida, including how luxury homes and private flights were paid for by taxpayers after criminals took advantage of the system. The report will air on NBC Nightly News and be featured on NBCNews.com
- On MSNBC, anchor Stephanie Ruhle will report on the government’s efforts to recover billions of taxpayer money that has been wasted from Economic Injury Disaster Loan fraud.
For more information:
More Americans watch NBC News than any news organization in the world. Its leading and award-winning television news broadcasts include TODAY, NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt, Meet the Press with Chuck Todd and Dateline NBC. Additionally, NBC News produces Third Hour of TODAY, TODAY with Hoda and Jenna and Sunday TODAY with Willie Geist, as well as primetime specials and breaking news reports. The rapidly-growing NBC News Digital Group – including its streaming news services NBC News NOW and TODAY All Day – and the network’s award-winning original podcast and audio unit provide continuous content to consumers wherever they are, whenever they want it. NBC News also operates NBC News Studios, a new unit producing premium documentaries, docuseries, select scripted programming and content for emerging platforms, as well as the NBC NewsChannel affiliate news service.
NBC News is part of the NBCUniversal News Group, a division of NBCUniversal, which is owned by Comcast Corporation. For more information about NBCUniversal, please visit www.NBCUniversal.com.