TODAY Wins 42 Straight Olympic Weeks in A25-54
TODAY Posts Biggest Total Viewer Delivery in 12 Weeks and Narrows Gap with GMA by 99% Vs. Last Year
TODAY Tops GMA in Total Viewers Monday, Wednesday
TODAY Grows Across the Board Week Over Week
NEW YORK – February 23, 2022 – NBC News’ TODAY was the number-one morning show during the second week of the Beijing Olympics, topping ABC’s “Good Morning America” in the key demo A25-54. The win marks 42 straight Olympics weeks (331 of the last 338 weeks) in first place. TODAY also won outright last Monday and Wednesday.
TODAY grew across the board last week, posting a 12-week high in total viewers and its biggest key demo lead over GMA in five weeks. Versus the prior year, TODAY grew its demo lead over GMA and narrowed the total viewer gap by 99%.
Season to date, TODAY has been number-one in the key demo for seven years straight. TODAY’s A25-54 percentage lead over GMA is its largest in three years.
Last week, TODAY Digital reached 13.3 million unique visitors and TODAY All Day reached a record 350,000 hours viewed, both growing versus the previous week.
- TODAY ranked #1 in A25-54 and A18-49 for the 15th consecutive Olympic Games
- TODAY has won every Olympics week in A25-54 and A18-49 dating back to the 1994 Lillehammer Winter Games — 42 straight Olympics weeks
- Vs. prior week, TODAY posted the biggest audience growth and improved its competitive margins across-the-board
- Vs. prior year, TODAY saw bigger A25-54 leads vs. the competition and closed the total viewer gap by 99% vs. GMA
- Season-to-date, TODAY has been the #1 ranked morning show in A25-54 for seven consecutive years and A18-49 for nine straight years (also 29 of the last 30 years in A18-49)
- TODAY’s total viewer gap vs. GMA has improved by 27% compared to the same point last season
- On a percentage basis, TODAY’s lead over GMA is the highest in three years among A25-54
TODAY averaged 917,000 A25-54 viewers, outperforming GMA by +103,000 (+13%) and CBS Mornings by +373,000 (+69%)
- TODAY has ranked #1 in among A25-54 viewers for 331 of the last 338 weeks
- TODAY saw its best A25-54 advantage over GMA in five weeks (week of 1/10/2022) and CBS in four weeks (week of 1/17/2022)
- Compared to the same week last season, TODAY’s demo lead over GMA grew by 26% (+103,000 vs. +82,000 prior year).
- Week over week, TODAY’s demo viewership increased by +65,000 (+8%) while also improving its advantages over both GMA and CBS.
TODAY averaged 656,000 A18-49 viewers, leading GMA by +123,000 (+23%) and CBS by +263,000 (+67%)
- TODAY saw its best A18-49 delivery in four weeks
- TODAY’s A18-49 lead over GMA was 73% higher than the same week last season (+123,000 vs. +71,000 prior year).
- Compared to prior week, TODAY’s A18-49 audience grew by +67,000 (+11%) while more than tripling its advantage over GMA (+123,000 vs. +38,000 prior week) and widening its lead over CBS by 16% (+263,000 vs. +227,000 prior week).
TODAY averaged 3.358 million total viewers, +904,000 (+37%) more than CBS
- This was TODAY’s best total viewer delivery in 12 weeks (since the week of 11/22/2021), its closest gap vs. GMA in 11 weeks (week of 11/29/2021), and its biggest win over CBS in six weeks (week of 1/3/2022)
- TODAY posted two daily wins over GMA in total viewers: by +487,000 on Monday (the morning following Super Bowl LVI) and +31,000 on Wednesday
- TODAY added +292,000 viewers (+10%) to its total audience, closed the gap with GMA by 99% (-2,000 vs. -270,000 prior week), and increased its lead over CBS by 58% (+904,000 vs. +573,000 prior week).
TODAY Digital reached 13.3 million unique visitors and TODAY All Day reached a record 350,000 hours viewed, both growing versus the previous week.
- TODAY also delivered 32M video views across on and off network platforms ( 40%WoW)
- TODAY podcasts drove 226K downloads
- TODAY newsletters garnered 234K visits (9% vs.13-week average)
- These newsletters had an average click-thru rate of 6% and an open rate of 54%
2021-22 SEASON-TO-DATE (9/20/2021-2/20/2022)
TODAY has ranked #1 in A25-54 at this point of the season for seven consecutive years and #1 in A18-49 for nine years in a row
- On a percentage basis, TODAY’s A25-54 lead over GMA (9.9%) is at its highest level in three seasons