Improves Total Viewer Gap vs. ABC by Nearly 50% in Year-Over-Year Measurements
Season to Date, ‘Nightly News’ Narrows Competitive Position Vs. ABC by 27% in Total Viewers & by 9% in A25-54 vs. Same Time Period Last Year
Week of January 10: Ratings Highlights
- Nightly News is the #1 Monday evening newscast in the key A25-54 demo for the third time this season, topping ABC’s World News Tonight by +170,000, its largest demo win in nearly two years (3/27/20).
- Nightly News continues its trend of improving in total viewers vs. ABC’s World News Tonight, cutting the year-over-year viewership gap by 48%.
- In week-over-week measurements, Nightly News improves the total viewership gap vs. ABC by +18%.
- Nightly News is the #4 most-watched program in all of TV last week, excluding specials, sports & syndication.
- Season to date, Nightly News improves its competitive position versus ABC by +27% in total viewers and by +9% in the A25-54 demo compared to the same time period last year.
Week of January 10: Nightly Stats
- Averages 8.055 million total viewers, topping CBS by +2.269 million (+39%)
- In year over year, Nightly News improves the total viewership gap by +48%
- In week over week, Nightly News improves the total viewership gap vs. ABC by +18%
- Averages 1.454 million A25-54 viewers, leading CBS by +423,000 (+41%)
- In year over year, Nightly News improves the A25-54 demo gap vs. ABC by +14%
- Averages 1.044 million A18-49 viewers, beating CBS by +318,000 (+44%)
- In year over year, Nightly News improves theA18-49 viewership gap by +32%
- Across digital, Nightly News saw nearly 11 million video views and 1.3 million hours viewed on & off platforms, including clips and full episodes
- On YouTube, weekday episodes reached 763,000 views and 610,000 viewers
|NBC NIGHTLY NEWS||1,454||1,044||8,055|
|CBS EVENING NEWS||1,031||726||5,786|
|ABC WORLD NEWS TONIGHT||1,733||1,194||9,026|
Note: Nielsen Ratings now reflect the addition of Out of Home (OOH) viewership that began being measured on Aug. 31,2020 across only 44 markets tracked by Nielsen Media Research.
NBC Nightly News, World News Tonight and CBS Evening News’ ratings are comprised of telecasts with regular titling and include overnight airings on owned stations. World News Tonight’s ratings also include 3:30pm airings in Los Angeles and San Francisco.
Digital ratings sourcing: Adobe Analytics and Partner Portals; YouTube Analytics Portal.
NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt reaches nearly 30 million people every week through its broadcast and millions more through NBCNews.com, the Nightly News app, the Nightly newsletter, Nightly Films, its podcast and social media platforms. The broadcast provides the latest on the day’s top stories, going beyond the headlines to uncover how people’s lives are affected by the world around them. Lester Holt is the anchor, and named the “most-trusted television news personality in America,” according to the most recent The Hollywood Reporter/Morning Consult survey. Holt also anchors Nightly News: Kids Edition. Meghan Rafferty is the executive producer.
For more information: