Anne Milgram to Speak with ‘TODAY’ on Monday in Her First TV Interview as DEA Administrator & ‘Nightly’ to Air Exclusive Report on Wednesday on Experimental Brain Surgery to Help Curb Addiction
Coverage Will Air All Next Week Across ‘TODAY,’ ‘NBC Nightly News,’ MSNBC, NBCNews.com & NBC News NOW
September 24 – NBC News and MSNBC will air a week-long series of in-depth and exclusive reports on the opioid crisis, including an inside look at new programs and trials that hope to help curb addiction, beginning this Sunday. “One Nation: Overdosed” will air across TODAY, NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt, MSNBC, NBCNews.com and NBC News NOW.
On Monday, NBC News senior national correspondent Kate Snow will sit down with DEA administrator Anne Milgram for an exclusive interview on TODAY.
Snow also receives exclusive access to an experimental brain surgery at West Virginia University that seeks to treat opioid addiction. She speaks with a patient in the university’s pilot program for an inside look at how and if the clinical trial works. The report airs Wednesday on NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt and NBCNews.com and Thursday on TODAY, MSNBC and NBC News NOW.
Additional programming highlights throughout the week include:
- On Sunday, Snow will report for Nightly News on a shortage of generic naloxone, an antidote to opioid overdose, at harm reduction centers across the country.
- On Sunday TODAY, NBC News and MSNBC correspondent Jacob Soboroff will explore the rise of fentanyl and visit San Francisco, a city that saw nearly three times as many deaths from overdoses last year.
- On Thursday, in collaboration with Telemundo and NBC Nightly News, NBC News correspondent Morgan Radford will report on the growing number of Hispanic Americans being hit hard by the opioid epidemic, worsened by the pandemic. Radford will travel to a rehabilitation center in Massachusetts that is one of a few treatment centers geared towards bilingual and Spanish-speaking addicts.
- NBC News senior reporter Olivia Solon will report for NBCNews.com on the link between Snapchat and the sale of fentanyl-laced counterfeit drugs that have caused the deaths of teenagers in at least 15 states. She will speak with a group of parents who have lost children and are asking Snapchat’s parent company, Snap, to collaborate more with law enforcement.
- NBCNews.com will feature an in-depth report on a vaccine in development at Columbia University that hopes to treat opioid addiction with a single shot.
For more information:
NBC NEWS AND MSNBC
More Americans watch NBC News and MSNBC than any news organization in the world. NBC News’ award-winning television news broadcasts include TODAY, NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt, Meet the Press with Chuck Todd and Dateline NBC. Additionally, NBC News produces Third Hour of TODAY, TODAY with Hoda and Jenna and Sunday TODAY with Willie Geist, as well as primetime specials and breaking news reports. NBC News also operates NBC News Studios, a new unit producing premium documentaries, docuseries, select scripted programming, and content for emerging platforms, and the NBC NewsChannel affiliate news service. MSNBC is the premier cable destination for breaking and live news coverage, in-depth analysis, and influential voices – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The rapidly-growing NBC News Digital Group, including its streaming news service NBC News NOW, along with the SiriusXM TODAY Show and MSNBC radio channels and NBC News Radio on the iHeartMedia 24/7 News Network, provides continuous content to consumers wherever they are, whenever they want it
NBC News and MSNBC are part of the NBCUniversal News Group, a division of NBCUniversal, which is owned by Comcast Corporation. For more information about NBCUniversal, please visit www.NBCUniversal.com.