TODAY Tops GMA in Total Viewers and Key Demo for Two Weeks Straight and Four of the Last Seven Weeks
TODAY Wins 310 out of 315 Weeks in Key Demo
TODAY Grows Demo Lead Over GMA 70% Versus a Year Ago
NEW YORK – September 14, 2021 – TODAY was the number-one morning show outright last week, topping “Good Morning America” in total viewers and the key demo for the second week in a row. The win marks TODAY’s fourth total viewer victory in the last seven weeks. TODAY has now won 310 out of 315 weeks in A25-54.
Additionally, TODAY grew its demo lead over GMA versus the prior week and the same week last year and was the only morning show to grow in total viewers versus this time last year. For six straight years TODAY has been the number-one morning show in the key demo at this point in the season.
TODAY averaged 3.256 million total viewers, +5,000 (+0.1%) more than GMA and +795,000 (+32%) higher than CBS
- TODAY was the #1 morning show for the second week in a row
- TODAY outperformed GMA in total viewers on both Tuesday (+128,000) and Friday (+268,000). Excluding the Tokyo Olympics, Friday’s advantage was TODAY’s biggest single-day win over GMA since Monday, 12/2/2019.
- Compared to the same week last season, TODAY increased its total viewer delivery by +18,000 (+1%) and improved its lead over CBS by 40% (+795,000 vs. +567,000 prior year).
TODAY averaged 952,000 A25-54 viewers, leading GMA by +107,000 (+13%) and CBS Mornings by +435,000 (+84%)
- TODAY has ranked #1 among A25-54 viewers for 310 of the last 315 weeks
- TODAY’s demo lead over GMA hit a five-week high (since the week of 8/2/2021, week #2 of the Tokyo Olympics)
- TODAY led GMA by +262,000 A25-54 viewers on Friday morning, its biggest single-day margin of victory in the key demo since Friday 3/5/2021
- Compared to the same week last season, TODAY’s demo lead over GMA rose 70% (+107,000 vs. +63,000 prior year) while its lead over CBS improved by 31% (+435,000 vs. +331,000 prior year).
- Week-over-week, TODAY increased its A25-54 lead over GMA by 15% (+107,000 vs. +93,000 prior week).
TODAY averaged 709,000 A18-49 viewers, leading GMA by +140,000 (+25%) and CBS by +342,000 (+93%)
- This was TODAY’s best A18-49 advantage over both GMA and CBS in five weeks (since week of 8/2/2021, week #2 of the Tokyo Olympics)
- TODAY posted higher A18-49 advantages compared to the same week last season, 43% higher versus GMA (+140,000 vs. +98,000 prior year) and 16% higher versus CBS (+342,000 vs. +294,000 prior year).
- Week-over-week, TODAY added +1,000 additional A18-49 viewers, widened its lead over GMA by 22% (+140,000 vs. +115,000 prior week), and improved its lead over CBS by 4% (+342,000 vs. +330,000 prior week).
TODAY reached 10.8M unique visitors last week
- TODAY saw 15M video views across on and off net platforms
- TODAY All Day delivered 106K hours viewed (19 % WoW) and 1.1M video view (4 % WoW)
- The stream has reached more than 1M starts for six of the last eight weeks
- TODAY podcasts drove 175K downloads (on par with the prior week and up 13 % vs. 13-week avg.)
- TODAY newsletters garnered 183K visits
- These newsletters had an average click-thru rate of 12 % and an open rate of 24 %
2020-21 SEASON-TO-DATE (9/21/2020-9/12/2021)
TODAY has been #1 in A25-54 at this point of the season for six consecutive years and A18-49 for 28 straight years