Holt Anchors ‘NBC Nightly News’ from Five States in Five Days, Beginning on Monday, May 17 in Orlando, FL
Newscast will also Broadcast from Louisville, KY, Cleveland, OH, Seattle, WA & Los Angeles, CA
May 12, 2021 — All next week, Lester Holt will travel across the country to report on how the nation is re-emerging from the pandemic for NBC Nightly News. Holt kicks off the newscast’s coast-to-coast “Across America” series on Monday, May 17 from Orlando, FL, and will also broadcast from Louisville, KY, Cleveland, OH, Seattle, WA, and Los Angeles, CA.
As the United States continues to rebuild from the devastating impacts of Covid-19, Holt will speak to local communities about how their businesses, schools, culture and sports have adapted. He will also report on the escalating tensions between police and communities of color and the growing homelessness epidemic.
Additionally, each broadcast next week will feature in-depth, on-the-ground reports from local correspondents at WESH (Orlando), WAVE (Louisville), WKYC (Cleveland), KING (Seattle) and KNBC (Los Angeles).
- Monday, May 17 – As the country’s economy recovers, Orlando, Florida continues to be one of the top tourist destinations in the country. Holt will interview local restaurant owners about the city’s comeback, as well as theme park and cruise ship employees. Additionally, Nightly News will look at the affordable housing crisis, speaking with residents who are struggling and the efforts to help them.
- Tuesday, May 18 – Holt will report on the latest on policing in Louisville, Kentucky, which had become the center of the Black Lives Movement last year. He will interview Louisville Police Chief Erika Shields about the federal investigation into the city’s police department. The newscast will also explore the generational differences in the way Americans have advocated for change and the city’s unique role in the push for racial equality.
- Wednesday, May 19 – Nightly News spotlights the public school system in Cleveland, Ohio as it begins to launch its breakthrough summer school program that combines education with camp to help students who have fallen behind during the past year. Additionally, the newscast features an exclusive tour inside the Purell factory for a look at how GOJO, the makers of Purell, overhauled operations since the pandemic began.
- Thursday, May 20 – Holt will speak with the CEO of Alaska Airlines from the company’s headquarters in Seattle, Washington about the future of the travel industry. The broadcast will also examine the hospitality industry, speaking with local restaurant owners trying to rebuild in one of the most impacted cities.
- Friday, May 21 – Holt will return to Los Angeles, California to continue his reporting on the worsening homelessness crisis in the city. Also, as hate crimes continue to rise against the AAPI community, Nightly News will feature personal stories from local residents affected by the racism targeted at Asian Americans, as well as grassroot efforts to help combat it.
Next week, all NBC News platforms, including Nightly News Kids Edition, will feature reporting on the country’s rebuilding efforts as part of the special “Across America” coverage.This marks the fifth installment of Nightly News’ “Across America” series, and follows Holt’s coast-to-coast tour to key battleground states ahead of the 2020 presidential election.
For updates, more content and behind-the-scenes footage, follow NBC Nightly News on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, and the hashtag #LesterAcrossAmerica.
NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt reaches nearly 30 million people every week through its broadcast, and millions more through NBCNews.com, NBC News NOW, YouTube, the Nightly News app, the Nightly newsletter, showcast, and social media platforms. The broadcast provides the latest on the day’s top stories, going beyond the headlines to uncover how people’s lives are affected by the world around them. Lester Holt is the managing editor and anchor, and has been named the “most-trusted television news personality in America,” according to the most recent The Hollywood Reporter/Morning Consult survey. Holt also anchors Nightly News Kids Edition. Jennifer Suozzo is the executive producer.