Reporting Airs Across ‘TODAY,’ ‘NBC Nightly News,’ MSNBC & NBCNews.com
Monday, April 5, 2021 – Beginning today, NBC News will feature week-long, in-depth coverage on how the coronavirus forever changed the country’s workforce across TODAY, NBC Nightly News, MSNBC and NBCNews.com.
As the nation continues to adjust and rebuild during the pandemic, the network-wide reporting will examine the devastating economic impact of Covid-19 on the American workforce, including the staggering loss of jobs, how women have been disproportionately impacted and the widening pay gaps. The series will also look ahead, exploring the future of in-person workplaces, and return to work mandates.
Key programming highlights include:
- NBC News Senior Investigative and Legal Correspondent Cynthia McFadden profiles struggling workers and residents in Queens, NY, one of the country’s hardest hit areas by the pandemic and also one of the most diverse regions.
NBC NIGHTLY NEWS WITH LESTER HOLT:
- NBC News Senior Business Correspondent Stephanie Ruhle will report on how job losses have disproportionately affected women during this pandemic and the pressures working mothers are facing in balancing their careers and childcare.
- As vaccinations are on the rise, so is talk of returning to work. NBC News Biz & Tech Correspondent Jo Ling Kent will look at the legalities of whether companies can require employees to return to in-person work. Also, NBC News Correspondent Tom Costello reports on what the future of the office may look like, including hybrid environments, flexible work hours, offices shifting from downtowns to suburbs and hiring outside the power-centric cities.
- As younger generations push for more pay equity, McFadden reports on the enormous gap, worsened by the pandemic, between top executives and their employees. Also, Kent visits a Sonoma County casino where 2,000 employees have been given a $3 hourly increase and looks at what is a livable wage during the pandemic, as well as “heroes pay.”
- Ruhle receives exclusive access inside a New Jersey Amazon facility, where she speaks with employees about working for the company. She will also look at the rise of e-commerce jobs.
- In collaboration with CNBC, anchor Ali Velshi takes a deep dive into the potential impacts immigration could have on an economy still recovering from Covid.
NBC NEWS DIGITAL
- In a series of ongoing reports on Amazon, NBC News’ Biz & Tech reporters speak with Amazon workers about the efforts the company is undertaking to crush unionization across the country.
- NBC News reporter Ben Popken reports on the toll the pandemic has taken on the factory floor, including how social distancing has slowed down the assembly line, which could lead to a ramp up of automation and squeeze out American workers.
- Office buildings are opening back up, but not everyone wants to return. NBC News Reporter Elizabeth Chuck talks with employees who have anxiety about returning to pre-pandemic ways.
- NBC News reporter Leticia Miranda speaks with retail employees, who have lost friends and colleagues after being exposed in the workplace, about how they’re coping and how companies have responded.
- The pandemic has forced a corporate awakening to work-life balance, and NBCNews.com will examine what could be a silver lining with business leaders taking childcare, caring for seniors and mental health into consideration.
- NBCNews.com profiles childcare providers and nannies on how their jobs have been affected throughout the year and what the future holds, as the workplace and where people live has dramatically changed.
For More Information:
NBC NEWS AND MSNBC
More Americans watch NBC News and MSNBC than any news organization in the world. NBC News’ award-winning television news broadcasts include TODAY, NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt, Meet the Press with Chuck Todd and Dateline NBC. Additionally, NBC News produces Third Hour of TODAY, TODAY with Hoda and Jenna and Sunday TODAY with Willie Geist, as well as primetime specials and breaking news reports. NBC News also operates NBC News Studios, a new unit producing premium documentaries, docuseries, select scripted programming, and content for emerging platforms, and the NBC NewsChannel affiliate news service. MSNBC is the premier cable destination for breaking and live news coverage, in-depth analysis, and influential voices – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The rapidly-growing NBC News Digital Group, including its streaming news service NBC News NOW, along with the SiriusXM TODAY Show and MSNBC radio channels and NBC News Radio on the iHeartMedia 24/7 News Network, provides continuous content to consumers wherever they are, whenever they want it
NBC News and MSNBC are part of the NBCUniversal News Group, a division of NBCUniversal, which is owned by Comcast Corporation. For more information about NBCUniversal, please visit www.NBCUniversal.com.