Beats GMA in All-Important Demo During Opening Week for Six Straight Years
#1 in A25-54 for 57 Weeks in a Row
First Place in Most-Coveted Demo for 246 of Past 248 Weeks
PLUS – TODAY Posts Highest Key Demo Delivery in 15 Weeks
NEW YORK – Sep. 29, 2020 – For six straight years, NBC News’ TODAY won the opening week of the television season in the key demo. TODAY once again beat ABC’s “Good Morning America” (GMA) in the all-important demo, adding another week to its winning streak, marking 57 weeks-in-a-row in the top spot, and 246 out of the past 248 weeks. The number-one morning show also posted its highest audience delivery in A25-54 in 15 weeks.
TODAY also narrowed the total viewer gap against GMA by 12% year-over-year and 7% week-over-week, while also increasing its advantage over “CBS This Morning” by 14% compared to the prior week.
Week of September 21-27, 2020:
TODAY averaged 1.030 million A25-54 viewers, leading GMA by +33,000 (+3%) and CBS This Morning by +442,000 (+75%)
- TODAY has now ranked #1 in A25-54 for 57 consecutive weeks (includes one tie) and 246 of the last 248 weeks
- TODAY posted its highest A25-54 delivery and widest demo advantage over CBS since the week of 6/8/2020 (15-week highs)
- Week-over-week, TODAY added +18,000 A25-54 viewers (up +2%) and improved its demo advantage over CBS by 7%
TODAY averaged 744,000 A18-49 viewers, +77,000 (+11%) more than GMA and +340,000 (+84%) higher than CBS
- TODAY has ranked #1 in A18-49 for 53 consecutive weeks and 115 the last 117 weeks
- This was TODAY’s highest A18-49 average in 16 weeks (since the week of 6/1/2020)
- Compared to season-opening week last year, TODAY widened its A18-49 advantage over GMA by 28%
- Week-over-week, TODAY increased its A18-49 delivery by +3,000 viewers
TODAY averaged 3.282 million total viewers, leading CBS This Morning by +769,000 (+31%)
- TODAY has its best total viewer lead over CBS in 16 weeks (since week of 6/1/2020)
- Compared to the same week last season, TODAY narrowed the total viewer gap vs. GMA by 12%
- Week-over-week, TODAY closed the total viewer gap with GMA by 7% and increased its advantage over CBS by 14%
Ratings now reflect the addition of Out of Home (OOH) viewership that Nielsen Media Research began measuring on Aug. 31 across only 44 markets.
# # #