TODAY Tops GMA in Key Demo for the Month of July
TODAY Wins 237 out of 239 Weeks in A25-54 And Wins Total Viewers Friday
TODAY Posts 6-Week Highs in Total Viewers and Key Demo
TODAY Doubles Demo Lead Versus GMA Year Over Year
NEW YORK – July 28, 2020 – NBC News’ TODAY was the number-one morning show for the month of July, topping ABC’s “Good Morning America” in the key A25-54 demo. TODAY has now won the key demo for 59 straight months (237 out of 239 weeks).
TODAY also won in the key demo last week and in total viewers on Friday. TODAY delivered its best A25-54 advantage over GMA and its biggest total viewer delivery in six weeks. Versus the prior week, TODAY posted the largest total viewer and demo gains of the morning shows. Additionally, TODAY more than doubled its demo lead versus GMA and narrowed the total viewer gap with GMA by 83% versus the same week last season.
TODAY won its 59th consecutive month among A25-54 viewers
- TODAY averaged 973,000 A25-54 viewers, leading GMA by +79,000 (+9%) and CBS This Morning by +386,000 (+66%)
- TODAY’s demo lead over GMA improved by 84% month-over-month and increased 22% vs. July 2019
TODAY ranked #1 in A18-49 for the 64th consecutive month
- TODAY averaged 675,000 A18-49 viewers, topping GMA by +115,000 (+20%) and CBS by +280,000 (+71%)
- TODAY’s A18-49 lead over GMA increased 21% vs. prior month and 31% vs. July 2019
TODAY averaged 3.303 million total viewers during July, leading CBS by +675,000 (+26%)
- TODAY closed the total viewer gap vs. GMA by 70% compared to prior month, and finished 18% closer vs. July 2019
WEEK OF JULY 20-26, 2020
TODAY averaged 1.006 million A25-54 viewers, outperforming GMA by +101,000 (+11%) and CBS This Morning by +429,000 (+74%)
- TODAY has now ranked #1 in A25-54 for 48 consecutive weeks (includes one tie) and 237 of the last 239 weeks
- This was TODAY’s biggest A25-54 audience (and first over one million viewers) in six weeks and its widest demo margin over GMA in nine weeks
- Compared to the same week last season, TODAY more than doubled its A25-54 lead over GMA (up 110%) while growing its advantage over CBS by 21%.
- TODAY saw the biggest increase of demo viewers among the morning shows week-over-week (+45,000) and improved its leads over both GMA (up 3%) and CBS (22% higher).
TODAY averaged 694,000 A18-49 viewers, +133,000 (+24%) more than GMA and +303,000 (+78%) higher than CBS
- TODAY’s A18-49 delivery hit a five week-high while its lead over CBS was the best in six weeks
- Compared to the same week last season, TODAY’s A18-49 lead was up 90% vs. GMA and 6% vs. CBS.
- Week-over-week, TODAY added +27,000 A18-49 viewers and improved its lead over CBS by 13%.
TODAY averaged 3.326 million total viewers, leading CBS This Morning by +763,000 (+30%)
- TODAY pulled to is closest total viewer margin vs. GMA in 15 weeks (since TODAY’s win during the week of 4/6/2020)
- TODAY also had its widest total viewer advantage over CBS in seven weeks
- TODAY cut the total viewer gap vs. GMA by 83% compared to the same week last season.
- Week-over-week, TODAY saw the biggest increase of total viewers among the morning shows (+23,000) and nearly cut GMA’s lead in half.
TODAY ranks #1 among both A25-54 and A18-49 viewers
TODAY’s A18-49 lead over GMA has grown by 23% while its lead over CBS is up 3% compared to last season
- Lead over GMA is +127,000 (vs. +103,000 last season)
- Lead over CBS is +386,000 (vs. +374,000 last season)