Broadcast Also Wins 4th Quarter
Plus: Dateline’s Entry into Podcasts in 2019 Tops the Apple Charts
December 31, 2019 – Dateline NBC closes out 2019 as the #1 Friday newsmagazine, beating ABC’s 20/20 across the board in all key measurements, including total viewers, A25-54 and A18-49. This marks the fourth consecutive broadcast year win.
Dateline averages 4.55 million total viewers, outpacing 20/20 by +215,000 (+5%). Among A25-54, Dateline averages 1.41 million viewers, leading 20/20 by +30,000 (+2%). The broadcast also notches 1.04 million A18-49 viewers, ahead of 20/20 by +48,000 (+5%).
Additionally, the newsmagazine tops 20/20 across the board for the fourth quarter. Dateline averages 4.54 million total viewers, leading ABC by +776,000 (+21%) and 1.38 million viewers in A25-54, ahead of 20/20 by +30,000 (+2%). The broadcast also averages 1.01 million A18-49 viewers, topping 20/20 by +136,000 (+16%).
2019 Year-to-Date Highlights
- Dateline averages 4.55 million total viewers, outpacing 20/20 by +215,000 (+5%).
- Among A25-54, the newsmagazine averages 1.41 million viewers, topping 20/20 by +30,000 (+2%).
- Dateline averages 1.04 million A18-49 viewers, leading 20/20 by +48,000 (+5%).
- Dateline averages 4.54 million total viewers, leading ABC by +776,000 (+21%).
- The broadcast notches 1.38 million viewers in A25-54, ahead of 20/20 by +30,000 (+2%).
- Among A18-49, Dateline averages 1.01 million viewers, topping 20/20 by +136,000 (+16%).
- Dateline’s “showcasts” continue to be in the top 20 of Apple’s podcasts. The showcasts are Dateline broadcasts available as podcasts.
- Dateline’s first original scripted podcast, “The Thing About Pam,” hosted by Keith Morrison, made Apple’s top 25 most popular new shows of 2019 and has received over 8 million downloads since its launch in September. It hit #1 and stayed there for nearly five weeks.
- Dateline’s first foray into podcasts, “13 Alibis,” debuted in May 2019 and featured Dateline producer Dan Slepian taking listeners on a real-time journey into a two-year investigation of a convicted murderer serving 20 years in prison for a crime he claims he did not commit. It hit #3 on Apple’s chart.
Source: Nielsen National, Most Current, 9/23/2019-12/27/2019. Average audience based on regularly-titled telecasts, excludes retitles and specials.
Dateline NBC is the longest-running series in NBC primetime history and is in its 28th season. Dateline is anchored by Lester Holt and features correspondents Andrea Canning, Josh Mankiewicz, Keith Morrison and Dennis Murphy. Airing Fridays at 9 p.m. ET/8 p.m. CT, Dateline is the #1 Friday newsmagazine and reaches more than 18 million people every week through its broadcast, and millions more through its social media platforms and podcasts. David Corvo is the senior executive producer, and Liz Cole is the executive producer.