Strong Key Demo Win Every Night, Continues #1 Season to Date
Only Evening Newscast to Increase Week Over Week
April 9, 2019 – NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt is the #1 most-watched evening newscast in both the A25-54 and A18-49 demos during the first week of April, according to Nielsen Media Research. Nightly News is also the only newscast to post week-over-week increases in both demos.
For the week of April 1, Nightly News won every single night in the key A25-54 demo, averaging 1.68 million viewers, leading ABC by +112,000 (+7%) and CBS by +571,000 viewers (+51%). The broadcast also grew week over week by 4% while ABC and CBS both dropped by -4% and -8%, respectively.
Among A18-49, Nightly News attracted 1.11 million viewers, topping ABC by its biggest advantage in 12 weeks with +76,000 (+7%) and CBS by +331,000 (+43%). The program also improved from the previous week by +1% while ABC was flat and CBS decreased by -8%.
Nightly News also continues to lead the broadcasters as the #1-most-watched newscast season to date in both the key and younger demos, beating ABC by +43,000 and CBS by +598,000 in A25-54.
Week of 4/1/2019:
Nightly News ranked #1 in A25-54
- Averaged 1.681 million A25-54 viewers, ahead of ABC by +112,000 (+7%) and leading CBS by +571,000 (+51%)
- Vs. prior week, Nightly’s demo viewership was up +67,000 (+4%) while ABC fell -4% and CBS dropped -8%
- Vs. prior year, Nightly posted the smallest A25-54 decline in the 3NET (-69,000 or -4%), more than ABC (-158,000) and CBS (-170,000) combined
Nightly News ranked #1 in A18-49
- Averaged 1.110 million A18-49 viewers, leading ABC by +76,000 (+7%) and CBS by +331,000 (+43%)
- Nightly posted its biggest A18-49 advantage over ABC in 12 weeks (since the week of 1/7/2019)
- Vs. prior week, Nightly increased in viewership (+7,000 or +1%); ABC was flat, CBS -8%
- Vs. prior year, Nightly saw the smallest A18-49 decline in the 3NET (-80,000 or -7%) compared to ABC -11% and CBS -11%
|Total Viewers||A25-54 Rating||A25-54 Viewers||A18-49 Ratings||A18-49 Viewers|
NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt is the most-watched evening newscast in America among the key news demo for the past 22 seasons. The broadcast provides the very latest on the day’s top stories, going beyond the headlines to uncover how people’s lives are affected by the world around them. NBC Nightly News reaches over 24 million people every week through its broadcast and millions more through NBCNews.com, the Nightly News app, and social media platforms. Lester Holt is the anchor, and was named the most-trusted television news personality in America, according to the Hollywood Reporter/Morning Consult survey. Jenn Suozzo is the executive producer.
NBC News contact: