TODAY Has Been the #1 Morning Show among A25-54 for 44 Out of the Last 45 Weeks
TODAY Has Cut the Total Viewer Gap with GMA By 58% Versus the Same Week Last Season
Season to Date, TODAY is the #1 Morning Show in Both A25-54 and A18-49
NEW YORK – July 14, 2016 – NBC News’ TODAY was the number-one morning show in the key A25-54 demo again last week, while continuing to shrink the total viewer gap with ABC’s “Good Morning America.” TODAY has held the top spot in the key demo for ten consecutive months, winning 44 out of the last 45 weeks among the key A25-54 demo.
For the holiday week of July 4, TODAY topped GMA by 139,000 in A25-54 and by 127,000 in A18-49. Versus the same week last season, TODAY posted increases in total viewers (+3,000), A25-54 viewers (+37,000, or +2%) and A18-49 viewers (+79,000, or +7%), and narrowed the total viewer gap with GMA by 58% (-207,000 last week vs. -494,000 a year ago).
*Please note: As of 12/28/15, Nielsen national ratings are based on an expanded sample known as “NPX,” which effectively doubles the size of the Nielsen panel through a combination of additional meters and HHs. While NPX is now the official currency of record, all data pre-12/28/15 remains based on the old sample — so year-to-year and other comparisons are versus pre-NPX data.
WEEK OF JULY 4
TODAY averaged 1.537 million A25-54 viewers, outperforming GMA by +139,000 (+10%) and CBS This Morning by +593,000 (+63%)
- TODAY has been #1 among A25-54 viewers for 28 consecutive weeks and 44 of the last 45 weeks
- TODAY won all four rated mornings in A25-54, increasing its season-to-date total to 184 daily wins out of 199 rated broadcast days
- TODAY delivered a 1.29 A25-54 rating, +0.11 points ahead of GMA and +0.50 points more than CBS
TODAY averaged 1.149 million A18-49 viewers, +127,000 (+12%) more than GMA and +483,000 (+73%) higher than CBS
- Among A18-49 viewers, TODAY has now posted 48 consecutive wins and has been #1 in 54 of the last 56 weeks and 65 of the last 69 weeks
- TODAY has now secured 191 daily A18-49 wins out of 199 rated broadcast days season-to-date
- TODAY’s 0.91 A18-49 rating led GMA by +0.10 points and CBS by +0.39 points
TODAY averaged 4.055 million total viewers, leading CBS This Morning by 709,000 (+21%)
Versus the same week last season, TODAY posted increases in total viewers (+3,000), A25-54 viewers (+37,000, or +2%) and A18-49 viewers (+79,000, or +7%). TODAY also:
- Narrowed the total viewer gap with GMA by 58% (-207,000 last week vs. -494,000 a year ago)
- Posted a 172,000 viewer turnaround in its A25-54 advantage over GMA (+139,000 win last week vs. a -33,000 loss last year)
- Delivered a higher A18-49 lead over GMA by 877% (+127,000 last week vs. +13,000 a year ago)
Season-to-date, TODAY ranks as the #1 morning news show among A25-54 and A18-49 viewers
- TODAY averages 1.795 million A25-54 viewers, leading GMA by +9% (+154,000) and CBS by +68% (+728,000). TODAY’s A25-54 advantage over GMA represents a 270,000 viewer turnaround from a -116,000 deficit at this point last season.
- In A18-49, TODAY averages 1.349 million and tops GMA by +15% (+175,000) and CBS by +77% (+586,000). TODAY’s A18-49 lead over GMA has improved by 141,000 viewers (415%) from last season’s +34,000 lead.
- Among total viewers, the gap between TODAY and GMA is 60% narrower than last season (-229,000 season-to-date versus a -567,000 deficit at this time last season).
WEEK OF JULY 4 – JULY 8
|CBS THIS MORNING||2.50||10||3,346||0.52||666||0.79||944|
|GOOD MORNING AMERICA||3.16||13||4,262||0.81||1,022||1.18||1,398|
TODAY DIGITAL HIGHLIGHTS:
For the 23rd straight month, Today.com reached more consumers than GMA on Yahoo. Over 32.7 million unique visitors turned to Today.com in May for exclusive interviews and the latest lifestyle, parenting and entertainment news, according to recent data from comScore. For 29 consecutive months (38 out of the last 39), Today.com has reached more mobile consumers than GMA on Yahoo.
Today.com mobile unique visitors have grown +18% over the last 12 months while GMA on Yahoo has grown +11% for the same period. Today.com has gone from parity in mobile unique visitors in September 2013 to over 3.2x GMA on Yahoo’s mobile visitor number in May 2016.
# # #
NBC’s TODAY is the news program that informs, entertains, inspires and sets the agenda each morning for Americans. Airing live from 7 am to 11 am ET, TODAY reaches more than 5 million people every day through its broadcast, and millions more through TODAY.com, the TODAY app, and social media platforms. Matt Lauer, Savannah Guthrie, Al Roker, Natalie Morales, Willie Geist, Tamron Hall, Carson Daly, Hoda Kotb, and Kathie Lee Gifford are the anchors and hosts, Noah Oppenheim is the SVP and Executive in Charge, and Don Nash is the executive producer.
# # #