TODAY Beat GMA in the Key Demo A25-54 Monday and Friday of Last Week
TODAY Came Within a Slight 15k of GMA in the Key Demo for the Week
TODAY Has Cut the Gap with GMA by a Giant 166k in the Key Demo and by 205k in Total Viewers, Quarter-to-Date vs. the Same Period Last Year
TODAY Continues as the #1 Morning News Show in A18-49
NEW YORK – August 20, 2015 – NBC’s TODAY continues to gain momentum, tightening the morning news ratings race and posting consistent wins. For the week of August 10, TODAY was the number-one morning show on Monday and Friday, topping GMA in the key demo A25-54. This marks TODAY’s 46th daily win in the demo this year. For the week, TODAY came within just 15k key demo viewers of GMA. TODAY also delivered the biggest audience growth in total viewers, A25-54 and A18-49, week-to-week and versus the quarter-to-date average.
TODAY continues to slash the gap with GMA by huge numbers in multiple measures. Quarter to date versus the same period last year, TODAY narrowed the A25-54 gap with GMA by a massive 166k viewers (85%) and the total viewer gap by 205k (34%). TODAY also cut the demo and total viewer gaps by double-digit percentages week-to-week, versus the same week last year, and versus the 3Q’15 levels.
This year, TODAY has posted multiple wins including the July sweep key demo win, seven weekly key demo wins and three daily total viewer wins. TODAY remains the number-one morning news program in A18-49 for the season and year.
Week of August 10
TODAY averaged 4.260 million total viewers, leading CBS This Morning by +35% (+1.102 million)
- This was TODAY’s biggest total viewer delivery and widest advantage over CBS in seven weeks (week of 6/22/2015)
- TODAY trailed GMA by just -363,000 viewers, narrowing the gap for the second consecutive week and finishing below 500,000 for the 7thtime in the last 8 weeks
TODAY averaged 1.587 million A25-54 viewers, topping CBS by +74% (+672,000) and coming to within -15,000 of GMA
- TODAY’s A25-54 delivery hit a four-week high as the gap between TODAY and GMA narrowed for the 2nd week in a row
- TODAY finished #1 among A25-54 viewers on Monday and Friday. TODAY has now placed first in the demo on 46 days in calendar 2015
- For the week, TODAY’s 1.33 A25-54 rating was 0.57 point ahead of CBS and only trailed GMA by 0.01 points
TODAY was #1 with 1.160 million A18-49 viewers, outperforming GMA by +6% (+62,000) and CBS by +83% (+527,000)
- This was TODAY’s best A18-49 delivery since the week of 7/13/2015
- TODAY delivered a 0.91 A18-49 rating, +0.05 better than GMA and +0.41 higher than CBS
TODAY delivered the biggest audience increases:
- Week-to-week in total viewers (+6%, or +223,000), A18-49 viewers (+5%, or +60,000), and A25-54 viewers (+6%, or +88,000)
- Versus the 3Q’15-to-date average in total viewers (+4%, or +176,000), A18-49 viewers (+4%, or +40,000), and A25-54 viewers (+4%, or +63,000)
TODAY posted narrower gaps vs. GMA:
- Compared to the same week last season in total viewers (by 14%) and A25-54 viewers (by 92%)
- Week-to-week in total viewers (by 16%) and A25-54 viewers (by 82%)
- Versus 3Q’15-to-date levels in total viewers (by 11%) and A25-54 (by 52%)
In 3rd quarter 2015, TODAY has narrowed GMA’s leads in total viewers by 34% and in A25-54 by 85% vs the same period in 3Q’14
- Total Viewers: -401,000 gap in 3Q’15 vs. -606,000 in 3Q’14
- A25-54 Viewers: -29,000 gap in 3Q’15 vs. -195,000 in 3Q’14
Season-to-date, TODAY is the #1 morning news program among A18-49 viewers
During the 2014-15 season-to-date, TODAY has seen 11% narrower margins versus GMA in both total viewers and A25-54
|CBS THIS MORNING||2.33||10||3,158||0.76||915|
|GOOD MORNING AMERICA||3.41||14||4,623||1.34||1,602|
For the 14th straight month, Today.com reached more consumers than GMA on Yahoo. Over 31 million unique visitors turned to Today.com in July for exclusive interviews and the latest lifestyle, parenting and entertainment news, according to recent data from comScore. For 22 consecutive months (29 out of the last 30), Today.com has reached more mobile consumers than GMA on Yahoo.
Additionally, Today.com’s mobile unique visitors have grown +31% over the last 12 months while GMA on Yahoo has declined -9% for the same period. As such, Today.com has gone from parity in mobile unique visitors in September 2013 to over 2.5x GMA on Yahoo’s mobile visitor number in July 2015.
NBC’s TODAY is the news program that informs, entertains, inspires and sets the agenda each morning for Americans. Airing live from 7 am to 11 am ET, TODAY reaches more than 5 million people every day through its broadcast, and millions more through TODAY.com, the TODAY app, and social media platforms. Matt Lauer, Savannah Guthrie, Al Roker, Natalie Morales, Willie Geist, Tamron Hall, Carson Daly, Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb are the anchors and hosts, and Don Nash is the executive producer.
For more information contact:
Megan Kopf Stackhouse