Nightly is #1 in Total Viewers and Younger Viewer Demo A18-49 During First Week of September NBC Broadcast Delivers Biggest Audience in Over Four Months
SEPTEMBER 9, 2014 – “NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams” continued as America’s most-watched evening newscast for the week ending September 5, 2014, according to Nielsen Media Research data. Compared to the previous week, Nightly saw the biggest viewer growth among total viewers, A18-49, and A25-54 while posting across-the-board double-digit gains.
NOTE: NBC (Tue, Wed, Fri) and CBS (Tue-Thu) are based on three-day averages while ABC (Tue-Fri) is based on a four-day average.
Nightly outperformed ABC among A25-54 viewers on two of the three days of head-to-head competition. On David Muir’s first official day as anchor of World News Tonight (Tuesday), Nightly topped ABC by +529,000 total viewers and +111,000 A25-54 viewers.
- Nightly delivered 8.471 million viewers, leading ABC World News by +206,000 and CBS Evening News by +1,974,000.
- This represents Nightly’s biggest total viewer audience since the week of 4/28/2014 and biggest gap versus CBS in five weeks.
- Nightly has won in total viewers for 260 consecutive weeks, and in 307 of the past 308 weeks.
- Among A25-54 (000), Nightly averaged 1.967 million viewers, topping CBS by +354,000.
- This marks Nightly’s biggest demo audience since the week of 6/9/14.
- Nightly averaged a 1.6 A25-54 rating, +3 tenths over CBS.
- Among A18-49, Nightly delivered 1.462 million viewers, topping ABC by +124,000 and CBS by +355,000.
- Nightly averaged a 1.2 A18-49 rating, topping ABC by +1 tenth and CBS by +3 tenths.
- Nightly saw the biggest viewer growth among total viewers, A18-49, and A25-54 while posting across-the-board double-digit gains.
- Up in total viewer (+14%, or +1.048 million), A18-49 viewers (+18%), and A25-54 (+18%).
- Widened its leads vs CBS by 51% in total viewers, 40% among A18-49 viewers, and 59% among A25-54 viewers.
- Widened its total viewer gap week-to-week vs. ABC by 415% while narrowing the A25-54 gap by 73%.
- Nightly is the #1 evening newscast in total viewers and all 18-49 and 25-54 demo ratings.
- Nightly continues to post the biggest season-to-season growth among the national evening newscasts, increasing +493,000 total viewers (+6%) and widening its advantage over ABC by +28%.
- This season, Nightly has also widened its gaps over CBS by 9% in total viewers and 2% among A25-54 viewers.
- Season-to-date, Nightly is posting its biggest total viewer audience in 8 years (since the 2005-06 season) and its largest lead over ABC (+925,000) since the 2011-12 season.
# # #
For more information contact:
o: (212) 664-3230
c: (917) 628-8943